CPT®2023 Professional Edition is the definitive American Medical Association (AMA)-authored resource to help healthcare professionals correctly report and bill medical procedures and services.Healthcare professionalswant accurate reporting of services rendered and reimbursement. Payers want efficient claims processing. Correct reporting and billing of medical procedures and services begins with CPT®2023 Professional Edition.
Only the AMA, with the help of physicians and other experts in the healthcare community, creates and maintains the Current Procedural Terminology(CPT®) code set. No other codebook has the accurate, complete official guidelines for the latest and current procedural terminology for procedures and services to help you code and report medical services and procedures properly.The AMA also takes the copyright protection of its content very seriously and is committed to providing the most effective anti-piracy efforts for its authors and readers, such as inclusion of the Amazon Anti-Counterfeit Sticker and nonintrusive light-yellow dots on almost every page to reduce print reproductionin accordance with current copyright rules and laws.
NEW IN 2023 EDITION!
Recognizing that racism is a threat to the advancement of health equity and a barrier to appropriate medical care, as well as the power of images in contributing and limiting what bodies physicians, medical professionals, and students learn to see and define as normal and standard, the CPT 2023 Professional Edition will feature 19 diversity-related illustrations to counter a deep-seated, culturally, and systemically biased norm. These 19 diversity-related images are but the first step in advancing inclusive and equitable representation of a diverse range of skin tones in our medical educational resources for everyone who uses our codebook in their daily work, practice, and education.
The CPT E/M Companion 2023 is the definitive AMA-authored supplement reference guide to the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) 2023Professional Edition. It is designed to help users understand the changes to certain evaluation and management (E/M) services; how to report these new and revised or consolidated codes; and how to apply the revised and new guidelines effective Jan 1, 2023.
To enable consistency with the 2021 revisions to the E/M office and other outpatient codes, the 2023 E/M changes will provide users witha streamlined set of E/M guidelines that apply across multiple sites of service; revisions to code descriptors that reflect the structure approved in the office visit revisions; and a uniform Medical Decision Making (MDM) table for all the sites of services noted, as well as office or other outpatient visits.
This AMA-authored publication is designed with intermediate users in mind. Therefore, this publication’s content is written and organized in a manner that will make sense to all intermediate users familiar with the E/M section of the CPT code set. To conserve space and to maximize the value-added content, this publication does not reproducemost of the tables or guidelines in the CPT2023 Professional Edition.
In addition to the CPT E/M Companion 2023, the AMA has also created a special section for E/M 2023 in the CPT Knowledge Base.For more information on this you can go to ama-assn.org/cpt-knowledge-base.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
The CPT® 2023 Professional Edition codebook covers hundreds of code, guideline and text changes and features:
- CPT® Changes, CPT® Assistant, and Clinical Examples in Radiology citations — provides cross-referenced information to popular AMA resources that can enhance your understanding of the CPT code set.
- A comprehensive index — locate codes related to a specific procedure, service, anatomic site, condition, synonym, eponym or abbreviation quickly.
- Anatomical and procedural illustrations — help improve coding accuracy and understanding of the anatomy and services/procedures discussed.
- Overall codebook table of contents —enable a quick search of the entire codebook’s content for quick access.
- Section table of contents — provide a useful tool to navigate effectively and quickly through each section’s codes.
- Complete list of the additions, deletions and revisionsfor codes and code descriptors — provide a summary and quick reference of the 2023 changes in the codes without having to compare editions.
- Multiple appendices — offer additional information for modifiers, add-on codes, images vascular families, re-sequenced codes, MAAAs and PLA services, COVID-19 vaccines and administration codes, and digital medicine-services taxonomy.
- New Appendix S — Artificial Intelligence Taxonomy (AI) for Medical Services and Procedures — provide guidance for classifying various AI applications of AI for medical services and procedures.
- New Appendix T — Synchronous Telemedicine Service Rendered Via Telephone or Other Real-Time Interactive Audio-Only Telecommunications System—list all audio-only telemedicine CPT codes.
- Comprehensive E/M code selection tables — aid physicians and coders in assigning the most appropriate evaluation and management codes.
- Notes pages at the end of every code set section and subsection.
CPT E/M Companion 2023 is intended to help users understand and navigate the 2023 E/M revisions that have been made across numerous service groups, namely inpatient and observation care services; consultations services; emergency department services; nursing facility services; home and residence services; and prolonged services. Hence, this book is divided into six chapters:
- Chapter 1: Inpatient and observation care services
- Chapter 2: Consultations
- Chapter 3: Emergency department services
- Chapter 4: Nursing facility services
- Chapter 5: Home and residence services
- Chapter 6: Prolonged services
Each chapter will cover the following topics:
- Changes for the affected services, including guideline changes
- Code group consolidations and/or deletions
- Reporting considerations
A detailed review of the changes, along with key practical coding and reporting considerations to support correct use of these new and revised codes, are included in this supplement.